Monday, November 16, 2009

My Anniversary

I hate to start a blog with "according," but dammit, I'm going to do it! According to a study I read today, smaller cities are losing their luster during the economic downturn. I could care less about the numbers! If I've learned anything during the past year (aside from it's bad to hit a moose with your car) it's that small cities are where's it's at. During my trips to Vermont, Rhode Island and New Hampshire, I've found the people nice, the food eclectic and the traffic not so bad. Even Burlington, the biggest city in Vermont has traffic that pales in comparison to cities like Syracuse and Rochester. I'd much rather deal with a longer commute than four lanes of traffic packed with cars driven by blokes with cell phones and Marlboro Lights. During a week in Burlington, I didn't get flipped off once.

And speaking of economic downturn, the one-year anniversary of becoming a laid-off is right around the corner.

Yup, one year.

I'm not gonna lie, but it's been a great year filled with freelancing, dangling participles, traveling, and seeing the family. and Adobe CS4. I've basically taught myself how to design newsletters and brochures and to edit pictures. My favorite has to be the one of the sea monster eating my girlfriend. It's not that I want her in Davy Jones' Locker, rather, I just wanted to see if I could create the image.

So, as I start year two, I'm confident full-time employment is right around the corner. I've made good connections, watched the necessary chick flicks and kept my skills updated. If I was more superstitious, I'd be worried about the bridge between New York and Vermont being condemned. I'd see it as a sign.

But no way. They have ferries across the lake.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, there are always ferries across the lakes of life.
    I'm glad to see you don't lose your faith. Big things are waiting for you.

    Have a great day,
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, can we now call the daily print newspaper a "snailpaper" and mean it also with affection and endearment, even though it arrives with news that is 12 hours late?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Christian:

    You are listed in my top ten favourite bloggers. Stop by and grab your award!

    I hope you have a great 2010.

    Hugs,
    Val

    ReplyDelete