There was an error in this gadget

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Changing Gears


I've been reading lots of books the past few months (The New Rules of Marketing and PR) and in that time, I read about the "Plan B Job." You know, the one where you go to school to be a rocket scientist, eventually work at NASA, get laid off and end up taking a job at Home Depot in the One-Up-Your Neighbor Department.

Come to find out, the Plan B job hunt isn't that bad. It gets you back into the community and is as nice supplement to freelancing. Why? Because I've decided to go the Plan B route while I'm looking for that full-time PR gig in the lower 48.

Thankfully, it's an office job where I get a few breaks, can wear slacks, and don't have to patch holes in the snow. Not that I consider that to be a bad job, but some people are just perfect specimens to sit in an office and report to a computer. As a former journalist, I loved getting out of the office for most of the day, but it's all about computer work. When I interviewed for the Plan B job, they asked me if I was familiar with a computer and if I could handle criticism. My old editor used to call me from 10 feet away and slam the phone down if he was in a bad mood. Criticism? Check.

No comments:

Post a Comment